Thursday, July 23

Singing & Dancing with the Kids

Today I (with several friends and colleagues) visited a rural primary school. The 4-classroom building out in the hills was a second home to approximately 150 children in grades 5-8. It was such a wonderful experience, being welcomed in with a program of beautiful singing and vibrant dancing. All of the kids were all smiles as they proudly performed their vigilantly practiced pieces for us. After their program, we got to spend some time with the kids in their classrooms so that they could ask us questions and we could learn from each other. They mostly asked questions like, "How old are you?" and, "What's your favorite food?" But they also asked things like, "What is New York like?" and, "Were you sad when Michael Jackson died?" I was with such a lovely and inquisitive bunch. They probed for more information until they asked for a song (actually they asked for several) and dance. I can't sing to save my life, so I taught them the hula. It was so much fun, and I wish I could go back and spend more time with them.













No comments:

Post a Comment