Sunday, August 16

The Bristol Post

So I'm playing catch up again (ahh the procrastinator in me prevails, even on vacation)...and I'm writing this post from the train (leaving Bristol and headed to London).


I decided to visit Bristol because my friend Kara, from high school, is living there now. She invited me to come and see her, so I put the stop on my itinerary and I'm so glad I did! I was a little nervous because I actually hadn't seen her in over seven years! But it was a really fabulous stop -- I got to catch up with Kara (and finally have some girl friend time again [no offense, Matt]), meet some of her awesome friends (shout out to "Mubs and Dubs"!), and see some English countryside with sheep and cows (instead of zebras; although interestingly enough, certain pedestrian walks in Bristol are actually called zebra crossings).


We went to Tetbury which was such a cute and quaint little town where I got to have proper English cream tea and scones. And we also went to Bath which was pretty awesome. I have never really been a history buff and I don't think that I ever will be...but I do have a much better appreciation of history now that I've seen some of the sights that I've been so lucky to visit. The ancient city of Bath has been preserved beautifully, and although there are so many tourists that wander the main streets there on the weekends, its a cool part of the Bristol/Bath/UK history. Fish and chips as well as some of the creamiest ice cream you could ever have all await you in the lovely UK.


Impromptu dinner parties at the park, at Kara's flat, and a night out on the town were also a really nice break from the normal touristy sched that I was on over the past couple of weeks. Kara, you are a fantastic chef, truly the hostess with the mostess! hehe..Thank you for everything!!! To the bartender I met at the local pub, I'm sorry that I lost your card. To the giant, Harry-Potter-like house party hosts, thanks for a really interesting woodland, glow-stick experience. haha...Bristol, you were awesome.


PS - I think that saying, "I'm from New York," makes a woman sexier abroad. If I were to say, "I'm from Wisconsin," it wouldn't have the same effect. Oh New York, how I actually miss you now. Just a few more days...


-> Pictures coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment