Saturday, August 22

The End, and a New Beginning

I've circled the world and I've met a lot of people so far on this trip - people of all ages, races, customs, religions, hair color, eye color, whatever have you. It's been quite a fantastic experience being able to glimpse into the lives and perspectives of such a variety of individuals and cultures.


One thing that I am quite happy to have discovered (or maybe just confirmed) on this trip is that there are still a lot of good people in the world. The media sometimes makes it seem as though there are horrors waiting for us outside our front doors - and of course, safety is always something that I have been aware that I need to keep in check. That's something that shouldn't be compromised, so I still carry mace around with me. Growing up as a first generation Asian American, there are a lot of cultural sensitivities to safety and discrimination that I have engrained into the back of my mind too...just a tad bit more than "stranger danger." So being able to dispel some of these notions has been quite uplifting. There is an innate good in humankind. And there are more things that bring us together, make us similar people across these continents, than what makes us different. You can feel it within the vibes of many people. You can see it in their smiles. You can feel it within their handshakes.


The spirit of the humankind in its most raw form is one that is transformative. It is founded upon something mysteriously divine, encircled with love, and has the power to affect others - whether its a simple demeanor change, an entire career change, or a total life choice change. It's a common denominator, yet we view it just as we do beauty - in the eye of the beholder.


This thing about "finding you," or really, "finding me" has become another interesting matter that I've pondered more than several times throughout my trip (hey, what else am I supposed to do through all of the transit times I've had?). One of the reasons I wanted to go on this around the world trip was to get back to my roots and find "me." I've realized that I'm a first generation Asian American who is navigating between the push and pull of opposite cultures - someone who is still figuring out where I am on all of the sliding scales of life. But I've also discovered ways to embrace my history, my accomplishments, my independence, and the strength and confidence I have as a  Filipina. I know that I still have a lot of potential ahead, but I've figured out that I don't need to search far and wide. I can keep my feet on the ground and run at the best, steady pace that I can. I don't need to win the race, in fact, I don't even need to be on the same course as anyone else. I just need to make sure that every step on this journey counts.


Peace, Love, and Wanderlust.

No comments:

Post a Comment